With a view to popularize Ayurveda which is admittedly the mother of all medical sciences of the world, the name of Vaidya Shastra Pith (National Ayurvedic College) was given by Deshabandhu Chittaranjan Das and inaugurated on the 2nd Baishakh,1328 B.S.(April,1921) at 64 Boloram De Street, Calcutta. Kaviraj Shiromoni Shyamadas Vachaspati took upon himself the task of conducting the institution by repeated requests of Deshbandhu Chittaranjan Das, N.C. Chunder and other leaders of Bengal and the classes had started on the 30th Ashar,1328 B.S.(July,1921). Deshabandhu Chittaranjan Das was the first president and Kaviraj Shiromoni Srijukta Shyamadas Vachaspati was the first Principal of this college at that time. The attached Hospital with “Vaidya Shastra Pith” was inaugurated by Pandit Motilal Nehru.
This Ayurvedic College was included under “Gourio Sarbo Vidyayatan” (National University) established by National Leaders like Mahatma Gandhi, C.R. Dass, Subhash Chandra Bose and others. Dr.SarvapalliRadhakrishanan has inaugurated “NagarjunaRasashala” in presence of Sir NripendraNath Sarkar which was one of the important heritage in India. The Corporation of Calcutta has very kindly made a grant of two bighas of land on the Upper Circular Road(Now at 294/3/1, A.P.C. Road, Kolkata-9) for erecting a building for this college.
The Maharaj Kishore Manikya Bahadur of Tripura very kindly laid the foundation stone of the building on the 24th January 1930. Since 1st March 1971 Vaidya Shastra Pith has been governing and maintaining by the Government of West Bengal. In the year 1976 the Institution got the dignity ofthe Post Graduate institution and it starts with M.D. degree in only department of Kayachiktsa by seven seats under Calcutta University. Later since 1996 three departments have been opened by the Govt. of India such as - DravyagunaVijnan, RogaNidan & Vikriti Vigyan and Sharir Samhita.